Tuesday, December 16, 2008
Thursday, December 4, 2008
Monday, December 1, 2008
Well Damn. I went on a video shoot with my lil' HD Cam over the summer. Following 5 NCAA coaches on a meet and greet tour with the US Troops in UAE/Bahrain/Qatar and aboard the USS Nassau in the Persian Gulf. It was a great experience and I shot some pretty compelling images during the trip. It was awesome for me...as a photojournalist....it was great for the troops.... being able to get autographs with the likes of Charlie Weis... Mark Richt... and (seen above) Tommy Tuberville. Now.. the bad part... the seasons for the coaches who went on the trip has been less than stellar. In some cases... almost job ending.
1. Charlie Weis. Lord... it has been HELLISH in the Irish camp.
2. Mark Richt. beat by Alabama. Florida and GA Tech. Not a great season for a team that entered the BCS at number 1
3. Tommy Tuberville. after holding up SEVEN fingers... (see pic above) to mike light of a flag football victory in the Middle East...(the image above is from my video)... He gets killed by 'Bama in the Iron Bowl...
4. Yale's Jack Sieldecki.... loses the biggest game of the year to Harvard
5. Randy Shannon is coming off ok... with a ton of losses... even to GA Tech.
Curses are REAL!
Thursday, November 27, 2008
Saturday, November 22, 2008
This is AMAZING....Transforming himself and his sound... (with help from jah womble and Keith Levene) Johnny Rotten ... takes a history breaking stance.... this is SO good.
Wednesday, November 19, 2008
Friday, November 14, 2008
1. New York/New England... The Jets X
2. Denver/Atlanta... The Falcons X
3. Baltimore/New York ... The Giants X
4. Minnesota/Tampa Bay... The Buccaneers X
5. Oakland/Miami... The Dolphins X
6. Detroit/Carolina... The Panthers X
7. Philadelphia/Cincinnati... The Eagles X
8. Chicago/Green Bay... Da Bears X
9. New Orleans/Kansas City... The Saints X
10. Houston/Indianapolis... The Colts X
11. St. Louis/San Francisco... The 49er's X
12. Arizona/Seattle... The Cardinals X
13. Tennessee/Jacksonville... The Jaguars X
14. San Diego/Pittsburgh... The Steelers X
15. Dallas/Washington... The Redskins X
16. Cleveland/Buffalo... The Bills. X
I was 10/14 last week... here goes.
UPDATE. I went 11/16. i'm counting the Tie in the philadelphia game as a win ok? The bears sucked. The falcons blew it.
I haven't had this year's version... but historical tastings have been legendary.
I love the idea of beer and coffee... "Hey pal! Wake up to pass out!"
This is first on my list when we land in Mineral Bluff tonight.
LIVE AT THE MASQUE by Brendan Mullen.
The piney not so winey Anchor Christmas is here.
Of course... I had to drink one as soon as I got home. (No... I've never drank a beer in the car...while I was the driver ok?).
Another awesome addition to the Anchor stable of year after year legacy beers.
Cheers and Merry Xmas...6 weeks early.
Tuesday, November 11, 2008
The Victims "Television Addict" Another from my collection.
It was co-written by singer-guitarist Dave Faulkner (known at the time as Dave Flick) and drummer James Baker. The slow, menacing, bass line, played by Rudolph V (Dave Cardwell), is also a prominent feature of the recording. The Victims released the single independently in late 1977 or early 1978 (sources vary), with "I'm Flipped Out Over You" on the B-side.
Lyrically, "Television Addict" revolves around a youth "who went out and shot someone", and whose lawyer then attributes his actions to violence on television: "blame the ratings for his crime." The song is, in large part, a satirical comment on the tendency to blame popular culture for crime, rather than individuals, or broader social problems. The song ends by questioning why other social phenomena are not attributed to TV programs: "just because I watch Dinah Shore, doesn't mean my brain has slipped, doesn't mean anything — at all."
The band broke up in 1979. During the mid-1980s, Baker and Faulkner were briefly reunited in the Hoodoo Gurus, who sometimes performed "Television Addict" as an encore. The Hoodoo Gurus (without Baker) later recorded "Television Addict", and issued it as a bonus track on Crank (2005 re-issue).'
My picks were done last thursday... i just didnt get a chance to post them cos i was travelling. here they are...and i did pretty well. 10/14! a personal high!
1 Denver/Cleveland .... The Browns x
2. Tennessee/Chicago... The Bears X
3. Jacksonville/Detroit ... The Jaguars X
4. Baltimore/Houston ... The Ravens X
5. Buffalo/New England ... The Patriots X
6. New Orleans/ Atlanta ... The Falcons X
7. Seattle/Miami ... The Dolphins X
8. Green Bay /Minnesota... The Packers X
9. St. Louis/New York... The Jets X
10. Carolina/Oakland... The Panthers X
11. Indianapolis/Pittsburgh... The Colts X
12. Kansas City/San Diego X
13. New York/Philadelphia X
14. San Francisco/Arizona X
whoo hoo! see ya next week!
Wednesday, November 5, 2008
The latest on OLD WOODEN HEAD... the keg is gone...all known bottles emptied. Next brewing batch will be OWH 2.0 ... revised.
1. NIXON.... Gin ... lots of it.
2. CLINTON.... Red Bull and vodka. you know ...bill is "stupid fresh" and ready to party.
3. BUSH 1.... Peppermint Schnapps... Barb's drink.
4. FORD ... Seagram's VO
5. REAGAN... Schweppes and a hint of whiskey... Nancy measured the shots.
6. CARTER... Southern Comfort.
7. EISENHOWER... JAGER! ... raided from Adolf's bunker.
8. TRUMAN.. White Lightning... the buck stopped there.
9. KENNEDY.... he never looked... what ever Frank poured.
10. BUSH 2.... Rove's Kool Aid Cider... hmmm mmmm... bad.
Sunday, November 2, 2008
Well... I did a bit better last week. 9/14... is much better than two weeks of 7/14.
So here goes.
1.New York/Buffalo.... The Bills X
2.Detroit/Chicago .... The Bears X
3. Jacksonville/Cincinnati.... The Jaguars X
4. Baltimore/Cleveland ....The Ravens X
5. Green Bay / Tennessee .... The Packers X
6. Arizona/St. Louis.... The Cardinals X
7. Miami/Denver.... The Dolphins X
8. Atlanta/Oakland.... The Falcons X
9. Philadelphia/Seattle.... The Eagles X
10. New England/Indianapolis.... The Patriots X
11. Pittsburgh/Washington... The Redskins X
12. Tampa Bay/Kansas City.... The Buccaneers X
13. Houston/Minnesota.... The Vikings X
14. Dallas/ New York.... The Giants.X
ok? let's see how i do.
UPDATE Tuesday... 9/14 again. this week was a pretty easy one... so I can't say i'm happy. The only real one i'm proud of calling is the Denver Miami game. DUH!
Saturday, November 1, 2008
"We Got The Neutron Bomb" B/W "Solitary Confinement"
Friday, October 31, 2008
For those who don't know CELEBRATION ALE is one of the best beers I've ever had...and plan to ever have.
Tuesday, October 28, 2008
Sunday, October 26, 2008
Your taste buds have spoken! As part of the 4th Annual Samuel Adams
Beer Lover's Choice program over 50,000 of you tasted the two worthy contestants
- Samuel Adams® Blackberry Witbier and Samuel Adams® Coffee Stout - and cast
your votes. The voting was close but as with most contests there can only be one
winner. We are pleased to announce (drum roll please) that Samuel Adams
Blackberry Witbier will be the next addition to the Samuel Adams family of
beers. We brewed this traditional witbier with orange peel and coriander, and
then added a hint of blackberry. The flavor is very complex with malt and cereal
notes, intense spice and citrus flavors and a smooth, sweet/tart finish. It will
be available in January in its own 6-pack and in the Samuel Adams® Brewmaster's
Collection Variety 6 & 12-packs.
From the Sam Adams Brewsite.
Tuesday, October 21, 2008
Moore starred in dozens of films but is best known for 1975's "Dolemite," a low-budget mix of kung fu and bawdy humor that he wrote, produced and starred in as the titular wisecracking pimp. The film was a huge hit, spawned many knockoffs (not to mention a few sequels of its own) and was declared — many years later, of course — to be "the 'Citizen Kane' of blaxploitation films" by The New York Times.
NO. I've never had it. YES. I've heard amzing things about it.
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/13014/33127 There's BEER ADVOCATE's take on the beer. ... and here's Surly's take on the party they are planning. http://www.surlybrewing.com/index.php They are calling it "D-DAY"
Sunday, October 19, 2008
Wow. It's really over the top. The SECOND beer by Burnt Hickory Brewing...based slightly on a over hopped California Pale Ale... It's more like a Super Bitter English Ale. I can't say this is exactly what i was going for, But i'm not really upset with it.
The first thing I got when I opened a bottle last week...was GRAPEFRUIT. I've had a citrus taste before in beers... but this was new. Net research claims that the grapefruit smell and taste is normal for ales hopped with tons of Chinook and Simcoe hops. True. I used 4 Hops very LIBERALLY in this brew.
PER A FIVE GALLON Recipe
1. Cascade. off the top.. 2 0z
2. Centennial . off the top as well... 1 0z
3. Chinook . thru the boil 1 oz
4. Cascade . at end. 2 0z
5. Simcoe . Dry hop. 1 0z
looking back now... wow... for a light malt FULL mash homebrew.. i may have overdone it. The Malt balance i wanted is not really there.
Today I popped another bottle and tapped the keg. I was more happy with it. The grapefruit is there... but more buried.. and the beer has a real Pilsner Urquell stingy bitterness. It's hoppy... but not a sweet hop... a strong grass/flower blast.
I think in the future... i'll rework OLD WOODEN HEAD to be more MALT driven.... and use only Cascade Hops.
Appearance is Cloudy. It maybe leftover from the boil... more irish moss needed i'd say. The warmer it gets... the clearer it gets as well
Head retension is good. The bottled version is dead one... another HUZZAH for Cooper's Carbonation Drops. The Keg version is highly carbonated... controllable but i think i shot it a bit HOT.
Happy? Hell yes... it's my beer and it's good. Bottom line.
OLD WOODEN HEAD PALE ALE batch #1
named for John Bell Hood. General and Confederate Hero at the Battle of Kennesaw Mountain. Nicknamed "OLD WOODEN HEAD" by his troops by his stubborn actions on the battlefield.
5 Gallons made. 3 kegged 2 bottled.
DOGFISH HEAD's Red and White got first place in the "Specialty " Beer category. While the Palo Santo Marron got a third.
SWEETWATER's Motorboat got a SECOND in the ESB category.
This is Sweetwater's first win in a long time. Dogfish Head never seems to do well here... but these are both big wins for these breweries. Maybe Sweetwater will now make Motorboat a year round beer.
Thursday, October 16, 2008
GLARUS TO BREW IN 2009.
Gen. Leonidas Polk's Headquarters State Historical Marker
Burnt Hickory Rd. one mile west of Carnes Rd. in Cobb County, Ga
GEN. LEONIDAS POLK'S
G.W. Hardage house; June 10-14, 1864 After
withdrawing his corps from Lost Mtn. June 9, Polk's H'dq'rs. [CS] were at the
John Kirk house 1 mi. W. on this rd. June 10, h'dq'rs. were moved to Hardage
Sun. June 12. The Bishop-General read the church service (Episcopal)
for his staff, escort, and the Hardage family.
June 14. Polk rode with Johnston, Hardee & others to Pine Mtn. to inspect Bate's [CS] line at that advanced outpost. While there, Polk was killed by a Federal shell.
GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1953
"A second round struck nearby and the third round
entered Polk through an arm, passing through his chest and exiting through the
other arm. He was dead. Johnston stood over the man who had baptized him earlier
in the campaign and cried. One of the few men who had little use for Rebels, and
even less for the clergy was Gen. Sherman, who in a tersely worded statement
sent to Gen. Halleck, "We killed Bishop Polk yesterday and have made good
progress today..." "
Wednesday, October 15, 2008
The Stone Brewery products have made it to Georgia and I couldn't be happier. The Southern California based brewery is known for some of the better craft brews out there.
The Arrogant Bastard ale and the Ruination Double IPA are in my mind the flagship beers of this brewer. Available now at most liquor stores that I've been in lately...it's hard not to leave the establishment without a 220z or a six pack.
CONS? Stone is pricey. The Ruination 6 pack is 13.99 on average. You don't have to be a religious beer buyer to know that's steep. Worth it? Yes? Really? Maybe.
- ► 2011 (21)
- ► 2010 (47)
- ► 2009 (59)
- ▼ December (6)
- ADD THIS.
- it's 1:40 AM in Mineral Bluff GA.
- Double Bastard tale is TRUE!
- Terrapin Big Hoppy Monster OAKED on tap.
- The Brewmeister's Picks. Early for a change.
- Punk Rock Jukebox #4
- Rumor Mill
- On The Shelves NOW
- Punk Rock Library #1
- Merry Freaking Xmas.
- Punk Rock Jukebox #3
- Beer Out Of Town!
- Brewmeister's Picks... kinda late.
- The BISH. Update.
- But is he a beer drinker?
- The Brewmeister's Picks 11/2
- PUNK ROCK JUKEBOX #2
- Celebrate... The BEER!
- Halloween 2008
- You Don't Know DICK! (Yuengling ...That is!)
- Punk Rock Jukebox #1
- Boston Brewings ... something good? look.
- Back again to really screw it up
- Rudy Ray Moore DEAD. Long Live Dolemite!
- BEERS YOU GET CANT HERE #1
- Old Wooden Head Pale Ale.
- The Brewmeister's PICKS Week 10/19
- Great American Beer Fest Results.
- GAMMA RAY is here.
- GET OUT THE VOTE! (beer style)
- More on The "Real" FIGHTING BISHOP
- BISHOP TASTING
- The Fighting Bishop ABBEY STYLE ALE
- Stoned in Georgia